Monday, February 13, 2012

Star Wars- The Phantom Menace In 3D Review




Ever go to your favorite restaurant and order your favorite meal.  You’ve waited all week since you knew you were going to said restaurant and when your favorite meal that you usually order is brought out to you and you bite into it.  Well then you find out it isn’t as good as it usually.  All that buildup of excitement for your favorite meal and disappointment as it wasn’t prepared as good as it usually is.  That’s how I felt after watching Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D.  





We all know the story of Phantom Menace so there is no need to rehash that. (If you don’t for shame and go and rent Star Wars all 6 movies)  Well my gripe isn’t with the movie per say even though The Phantom Menace isn’t my favorite of the 6 movies (In fact it is my least favorite) but it is with the 3D that was supposed to be there.   When I think of 3D I expect objects to be coming out of the screen at me. Well there didn’t seem to be much of that happening in The Phantom Menace.   The one time that they did try that effect it looked pretty bad.  
 The Phantom Menace had a few cool scenes that I thought would look pretty neat in 3D.  But they weren’t.  I’m talking of course about the pod racing scene and the light saber duel with Darth Maul, Qui Gon Jin and Obi Wan.  I felt that was an opportunity that was not realized by George Lucas or whatever cronies that were in charge of transferring the original film to 3D.  The Phantom Menace could have been a good 3D movie using the 3D Technology to have laser beams and space ships popping out at you but alas that didn’t happen either.  The main reason for this is the fact that this movie wasn’t filmed for 3D in the first place and is only being released again to capitalize on the 3D market that seems to be the craze right now.


But anyway it was good to see a Star Wars movie back on the big screen.  It will be a good time for younger fans that may not have gotten the opportunity to see the movie in the theatres when it first came out way back in 1999.  I know I did enjoy seeing it again on the big screen and probably would have gone and seen it again without the 3D gimmick.  So if you are on the fence about seeing The Phantom Menace in 3D and expecting a great 3D experience the only thing I can say is save your money and watch your Blu Rays Star Wars set.  But if you are a Star Wars fan then go ahead and see it as the disappointing 3D won’t bother you much.  But at least see it during the cheaper matinee showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment