Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Doctor Who - L.I Who The Legend Begins




This past weekend, November 8th to the 10th, I attended the first Long Island Who Doctor Who convention at the Clarion in Ronkonkoma.  It was a wonderful three day event where fans could sit in on panles that featured guests 7th Doctor Sylvester McCoy, Frazer Hines who played 2nd Doctor Companion Jamie McCrimmon, Daphane Ashbrook who played Grace from the 8th Doctor movie and 11th Doctor returning characters Ian McNiece and Simon Fisher- Becker who played Winston Churchill and Dorium.  There were many actors from Doctor Who’s history to listen to and hearing about the different era’s was one of the highlights of the weekend for me.



What I really liked about L.I. Who was that it wasn’t crowded at all.  Since there was a cap on the amount of people to attend the convention it was not overcrowded like a San Diego or New York Comic Con. While those other have something for everyone and cater to a large audience L.I. Who was able to keep it a small affair.  This really worked as it gave the convention an intimate feel to it.  You were able to talk to the same fans all weekend which gave you the opportunity to make new friends and to get reacquainted with old friends you haven’t seen in a long time.  It was also great that you were able to move around the convention without being bogged down in a big group of people not moving at all. That is one of the things that infuriate me with the bigger conventions.


What was truly amazing about this weekend’s convention was the amount of young people at it.  I wasn’t expecting there to be that many young people there because there were more classic Doctor Who guests.  I was wrong.  There was tons of young fans at this convention and they filled the ballrooms were the panels were being held.  I was amazed at how many people attended Sylvester McCoy and Frazer Hines panels.  They were both filled to people standing in the back listening to actors that were in the show 25 and 47 years ago.  It was so cool seeing the new and younger fans taking an interest in the shows history and with the convention being capped at 1000 or so they had the opportunity to do so without being shut out because the room was full. 


Cosplay is a very hot trend that will not be going away anytime soon and L.I.Who sure had its fair share of cosplayers.  L.I.Who had a costume contest later at night and during the day you could see all the people dressed up as their favorite Doctor Who characters.  Thinking that there was a lot of young fans you would expect quite a few New Series characters walking around.  Not true.  There was a lot of classic characters represented also. In fact all 11 Doctors were represented at this convention and it was good to see classic Doctors mixed in with new characters.


L.I. Who was a really fun time and I had a blast attending the first Doctor Who convention put on by Ken Deep and his crew.  From the panels to the dance to watching Sylvester McCoy walking through the seats with the microphone to get questions for him it was just an all-around fun time.  My son had a blast also as this convention was really kid friendly especially with the game section on the top floor overlooking the lobby.   I’m really looking forward to coming back next year and celebrate Doctor Who and just have a really fun time.  In fact I will be as I have already bought my 3 day ticket for next years show. So if you are looking for a fun time and to hang out with Doctor Who fans and actors from the show in an intimate setting then L.I. Who is the convention for you.

Enjoy these pictures I took during the weekend.






















No comments:

Post a Comment