Saturday, March 10, 2012

A 'Journey' that Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson should avoid

The elephant in the room? This is a bad movie.
New Line recently announced that it will make a sequel to "Journey 2: The Moneymaking Island" (did I get that right?). After all, it's about to top the $300-million mark in global box office receipts.

Imagine how much money it would make if it was a good movie.

It isn't. I see many children's movies, thanks to my 11-year-old goddaughter. Some are good. "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs," for example, was one of the most entertaining movies that I saw in 2009. "Journey 2," on the other hand, is one of the most disappointing films of a young 2012.

And I had low expectations.

Yes, it's a movie for children. But much like "The Game Plan" - one of my goddaughter's favorite movies (at least until she discovered "Twilight," but that's another lament) - also starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, it's a movie made for children by adults who don't seem to care.

For the most part, I blame the writers. In its own little fantasy world, "Journey 2" does not make sense. The details are not worth the time it would take to type them. In the end, you walk out thinking, "I could have done a better job with this story outline" - even if you are 15 years old.

Rock, you deserve better. Demand a stronger script, or at least one that follows it own rules. Your old friends at WWE are better writers. How about "Journey 3: The Rock Smells What Twilight Is Cooking and Kicks Its Candy Ass?"

No comments:

Post a Comment