Friday, April 12, 2013

Da Vinci's Demons Episode 1 - The Hanged Man Review (Mild Spoilers)






Da Vinci's Demons
Episode  1 - The Hanged Man

The new Starz show Da Vinci's Demons has arrived and it is about a young Leonardo Da Vinci living in Florence Italy.  It is a story about how Da Vinci is a free thinker and who speaks his mind.  When we think about Da Vinci we don’t think about him as a hero but that is what this show is exploring and does Da Vinci’s Demons do a good job of it?  I first heard about this show at NYCC and sat in on the panel with the stars and creator and thought it sounded pretty interesting.  So I was very keen to see this show created by one of the guys responsible for the Batman movies David S. Goyer and here is what I thought of the first episode.


Watching the The Hanged Man I found it to be pretty different and very adult.  There was quite a bit of nudity and sex so do not watch this with the kids around. Besides that I thought the story was very interesting and there is quite a mystey going on.  Da Vinci meets up with a Turk who has him believing in a text that needs to be found.  Something the Pop doesn’t want found and they are going to lengths to have spies in Lorenzo Medici court and it is a pretty good twist when we find out who the spy is.  


The initial story is more or less a setup of the series.  We meet a lot of the characters and see who the main players are.  The Hanged Man gives us some insight onto where the show is going and what we might be able to expect from future episodes.  I was thoroughly entertained and thought the story was pretty good so far.  I like the concept of Da Vinci being an action hero who uses gadgets he draws to help him out. 

Da Vinci’s Demons has some really good music in the show also.  It was really good and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I t had a good renaissance style to it. I liked how they showed Da Vinci eying things. The way they did it in slow motion was pretty cool and it gave you a sense to how he sees things.  There were quite a bit of gadgets in this story and seeing the bird work was pretty neat in my opinion.


Da Vinci’s Demons started off pretty well and kept my interest throughout and I was intriguied enough to continue watching as a first episode really just sets the cards for the rest of the series. There were quite a few things I liked in it and hopefully the stories get better as the series goes along.  Da Vinci’s Demons is a series I will continue to watch as the mystery of it has picked my interest enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment