Monday, December 26, 2011

Holmes and Watson - Check Mate (My review of Sherlock Holmes 2 - A Game of Shadows)

I'm not a frequent movie patron so if I make the effort to brave the crowds and overpriced candy, you know a movie has caught my eye.
Having seen both the Sherlock movies and the BBC series, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, I have concluded that I am most definitely a Watson fan. I think Sherlock is an interesting character but Watson's stability appeals more to me.
Sherlock Holmes 2 - A Game of Shadows lives up to its previous film for me, except that I deduced the conclusion thirty minutes before it ended. Sherlock is still the manic genius with a handy gift of foresight and martial art skills. Watson is just as level headed and discipline in his approach to all things. This time, we are finally introduced to Sherlock's antagonist, Professor Moriarty, played by Jared Harris. Harris's portrayal of Moriarty, as a sophisticated and intelligent villain, is well done. Chess is used as a metaphor for the ongoing conflict between Holmes and Moriarty, which fits for their type of relationship. They are both strategists and attempt to play as gentleman. I really liked the period costumes and the location shots are visually appealing. I found myself more enthralled with those than the slow motion action sequences. Don't worry, the movie has plenty of those, if you enjoy them.
If you are looking for 128 minutes of good fun, then this sequel is right up your alley. Just be careful you don't run into any unsavory characters while taking that stroll.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is just me but it hard to think of anyone as Sherlock Holmes other than Jeremy Brett, the late actor who played it to near absolute perfection in the BBC granada TV series. That was a work of art so near to the description of Holmes by Sir Doyle that you began to doubt if Sir Doyle had seen Brett through a time machine and written Holmes or vice versa. I have seen many movies and serials of Holmes by various productions but Brett can never be replaced as Holmes. For me, Holmes never dies at Reichenbach Falls (though Doyle was forced to get him back in the Adventure of the empty house). For me, Holmes died the day Brett died. Every great actor or director once in their lifetime gets buried under a tomb of immmortality because of one performance or movie (Ramesh Sippy could never shake off SHOLAY....never). Same with Brett...till his end, he could never be anyone other than Holmes.
    I tried seeing Holmes Part 1 as potrayed by Robert Downey jr.....How does one describe it?Too painful to watch one of the greatest fictional literary figures ever being massacred by mediocrity. I stopped after 20 minutes and went back to the comfort of youtube to see Brett in my favorite story of all...The Adventure of the Dancing Men. No offence against Downey Jr. He may be a fine actor but the nuances you need to play the mad genius of Holmes.....sorry....no way. It's like asking any actor of today to re-enact Vijay Verma of DEEWAR...That was a role that Amitabh was born to play.

    ReplyDelete